Homemade Mango Wine Recipe

Here we are: finally posting an actual wine recipe!

When we first started making wine, the first few batches had to rely on recipes we found online. It didn’t take long before we figured things out on our own, and started coming up with our very own recipes. This wine is not only one of the very first recipes we created, it’s one of our absolute favorite wines to drink, and also one of the cheapest/easiest to make. In other words, a damn fine foot to start out on!

This wine starts out very orange, thick, and pulpy. It won’t look anything like wine for a few months, as the pulp and yeast slowly settle. When all is said and done, you will be left with a crystal clear, pale, straw colored wine. Sweet, fruity, delicious wine that goes down a little too well… and costs only $1-2/bottle!

Another nice thing about this wine is that it is very good when “young”. Unlike many recipes, this one is tasty and ready to drink in only about 4-5 months! Age it if you like – we haven’t been able to keep any long enough to see how it ages!

The ABV on this comes out to about 15-16%.

Home Brewed Mango Pulp Wine Recipe

8 cups water
30 oz can of Mango Pulp*
6 cups white sugar
1.5 tsp acid blend
½ tsp pectinase (pectic enzyme)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp wine tannin
1 packet Red Star “Champagne” yeast

Combine water, mango pulp, and sugar in a large clean, sanitized pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from heat.

Stir in acid blend, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and wine tannin. Cover pot with sanitized lid, allow to cool to room temperature.

Using sanitized equipment, take a gravity reading. It should be in around the 1.122 area. Keep track of the number!

Using a sanitized funnel, transfer cooled mixture to a sanitized 1 gallon carboy. Sprinkle yeast into carboy, cover with sanitized air lock. Let sit, undisturbed, overnight.

Within 24 hours, you should notice fermentation activity – bubbles in the airlock, carbonation and /or swirling in the wine must. This means you’re good to go! Put the carboy somewhere cool (not cold!), and leave it alone for 2-3 weeks.

After 2-3 weeks, you should notice that the wine has clarified a fair amount, with a thick layer of sediment in the bottom of the carboy. Using sanitized equipment, rack the clarified wine off the sediment, into a clean, freshly sanitized 1gallon carboy. Cap with sanitized airlock, leave it alone for 2-3 months.

Repeat racking process. Leave wine alone for a month or so.

Using sanitized equipment, rack the wine into clean, sanitized bottles. Cork. (We like to use these for corking our homemade wine. Easy to use – no special equipment needed! – easy to uncork, and – should you have any wine left in your bottle after serving (pfft!), the “cork” is easily replaced for temporary storage!

Enjoy.. and start planning for a larger batch!

* We use Swad Kesar mango pulp, which is readily available in our local grocer’s international foods aisle for about $3/ can. It’s also available at Indian grocery shops and online.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Homemade Mango Wine Recipe”

1. Luis
    December 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

Thank you for posting the recipe. I started some mango wine yesterday following your recipe and am looking forward to the taste. It is fermenting effervescently! :)
    Thanks,

Luis

2. jim Peterson
    January 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Good morning, Guys…I’ve been kicking around the idea of making wine for the last 6 or 7 years, and could not imagine myself waiting for a year for something to be ready to use; I don’t even buy green bananas.
    So…I have seen the light, and am ready to make some wine. But first, I have about 100 questions…
    I spend from 4 to 6 months, or the winter in my home in Mexico, where I have 80 or so banana trees, and several mango trees, also I have some passion fruit. I would like to make wine from all or one of the mentioned.
    My first problem, is I have to leave and go back to Nevada when the weather turns hot in Mexico; 100 degrees, with close to 90/95 humity…Question #1..at what point in the brewing can I let the brewing rest in these conditions for 4 or 5 months, until I return?
    I will appreciate any help, and I really appreciate this great website. You guys have made learning fun and interesting.
    jim
    Gardnerville Nevada/Bacubirito Mexico

3. Cameron
    August 8, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

What would I have to do differently to do this recipe with actual mangos?

• August 11, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

Puree fresh, very ripe mangoes to match the amounts in the recipe – the canned mango is just mango, no sugar or anything.

4. Joan
    April 27, 2013 at 1:26 am #

How much does this recipe make? What size carboy did you use?

• April 27, 2013 at 9:21 am #

It ends up making about a gallon of finished wine (maybe slightly less). As is, we start it off in a 1 gallon and a .5 gallon, and rack it into a 1 after the pulp settles.

5. July 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Received an email question from a read, figured I should answer it here as well:

> Hi Marie,
    > Thank you your wonderful mango wine recipe.
    > I would like to make a 5 gallon batch.
    > What will be the list of ingredients for a batch this size? I also would
    > like to use Honey instead of sugar.
    > Any advice from you will be appreciated.

I would suggest this:

2.5 gallons water
    5x 30 oz can of Mango Pulp*
    10 lbs honey
    6 tsp acid blend
    2.5 tsp pectinase (pectic enzyme)
    5 tsp yeast nutrient
    1 tsp wine tannin
    2 packet Red Star “Champagne” yeast

Hope this helps!

6. Rebecca
    April 20, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

We have just started making wine this year and have completed pineapple and blueberry wine. When I saw this recipe I just had to give it a try. I love everything mango and since we have a nearby farmers market which I found 6 cans for 10.00, how could I go wrong! We started last weekend and I stopped fermentation short because I have found we loose flavor the longer fruit ferments. Besides I enjoy lighter sweet wine. We did a three can batch and just racked it for the first time. I could not help to taste it. Ohh my it may not last 3 months on the shelf. It is sweet and very mango! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

• April 28, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Right?!

We’ve had a few wines like that, where even before adding the yeast, we just want to drink it. Canned mango is amazing stuff!

7. Travis
    July 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm #

My neighbor has a bunch of fresh mangos we just picked and we’re going to try this recipe, I’ll let you know how it turns out!