Honey Dill Dipping Sauce Recipe

Honey dill sauce is one of those things that I think of as being ubiquitous… and then end up disappointed when it’s not. When you grow up with something THAT popular, it’s weird when you move somewhere that’s never even heard of it.

So, let me introduce you to honey dill sauce. This is VERY much a Winnipeg thing, and “popular” doesn’t even begin to describe it. If you order chicken fingers anywhere in Winnipeg, there IS honey dill sauce. Actually, not even “there IS”, more like “There MUST BE”. Major chain restaurants, little diners, festival food trucks, school cafeterias… it’s just what you do. Kids love it, adults love it… and after putting together this post, I’m gonna NEED to make some for supper tonight!

I once saw a list of “You know you’re from Winnipeg WHEN”, and one of the statements was “You dip everything in Honey Dill sauce”. Well, while I wouldn’t go so far as to say “everything”, it really is a versatile condiment. The most popular use, as I mentioned, is for chicken fingers. It’s also great on roasted potato chunks, steamed carrots, salmon, egg rolls, perogies, for crudite plates … and as a french fry dip!

Given that this is a 3 ingredient, less than 1 minute recipe, I’m a little embarrassed to be posting it. Well, make no mistake – this is NOT a gourmet thing, this is not haute cuisine… but it’s SO good. Also, it’s like educating all you non-Manitobans on foreign culture, right? 🙂

Honey Dill Dipping Sauce

2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup honey (Liquid, not whipped)
1 tbsp dried dill

Mix together the mayonnaise and honey until smooth and well blended.

Crush the dried dill in your hand (to release more flavor), add to the mayo mixture, stir well.

Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow flavors to blend.

With 2017 being Canada’s 150th birthday, it’s about time I wrote the Canadian cookbook I’ve been planning for YEARS.

“More than Poutine” will be a Canadian cookbook like no other – written by a Canadian living away, it includes both traditional homecooking recipes, as well as homemade versions of many of the snacks, sauces, convenience foods, and other food items that are hard to come by outside of Canada!

High quality gluten-free versions of most recipes will be included.

The Kickstarter for “More Than Poutine is live, here. Please consider backing, and sharing the campaign with your friends!

Interested in Gluten-free cooking and baking? You’ll LOVE Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!

How many times have you come across a gluten-free recipe claiming to be “just as good as the normal version!”, only to wind up with weird textures, aftertastes, etc? Most gluten-free recipes are developed by taking a “normal” recipe, and swapping in a simulated “all purpose” gluten-free flour… whether store bought, or a homemade version. “Beyond Flour” takes a different approach: developing the recipe from scratch. Rather than swapping out the flour for an “all purpose” mix, I use various alternative flours as individual ingredients – skillfully blending flavours, textures, and other properties unique to each flour. Supporting ingredients and different techniques are also utilized to achieve the perfect end goal … not just a “reasonable facsimile”. Order your copy here.

Looking for even MORE fantastic gluten-free recipes? Beyond Flour now has a sequel: Beyond Flour 2: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!

Imagine gluten-free foods that are as good – or better! – than their traditional, gluten-filled counterparts. Imagine no longer settling for foods with bizarre after-tastes, gummy consistency, and/or cardboard texture. Imagine graham crackers that taste just like the real thing. Crisp, flaky crackers…without the sandy texture. Hybrid tortillas that: look and act like flour tortillas, with the taste of fresh roasted corn! Imagine chewy, delicious cookies that *everyone* will want to eat! Imagine BAGELS. If you’ve cooked from “Beyond Flour”, you already know that these fantasies can be reality – it’s all in the development of the recipes. Order your copy here.

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Honey Dill Dipping Sauce Recipe”

1. Gina
    June 24, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

You are so right I moved to the Toronto area an No one has even heard of it! VERY disappointing . Definitely a Manitoban thing!!! Tried it an your recipe is very good. Glad to see we are sharing our knowledge B Safe an Than you

2. Nathalie
    October 4, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I agree. I have been living in Montreal for 11 years and crave honey dill sauce whenever I see anyone having chicken fingers. I’m always surprised to hear nobody outside of Manitoba has heard of it considering how delicious it is. I guess it is just a part of Manitoban culture that the rest of Canada is missing out on.

• October 4, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

The rest of Canada? The rest of the WORLD!

I’m stuck here in Minnesota, no honey dill sauce anywhere… AND people look at you as if you have two heads when you describe it!

• Clinton
        December 5, 2012 at 2:59 am #

“Stuck”??? Please.

• December 5, 2012 at 7:36 am #

stuck – adjective
          1. fastened, fast, fixed, joined, glued, cemented “She had got something stuck between her teeth.”
          2. trapped, caught, ensnared “I don’t want to get stuck in another job like that.”

Yep, with paying off tornado repairs for the next several years, we are – in fact – stuck.

3. russell
    November 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

I moved to alberta from winnipeg and yes crave the HONEY DILL and as in other none manitoba cities. Nobody knows about or can imagine what honey dill tastes like.
    When i first moved here i could find honey dill on a safeway shelf, believe it or not.
    i was from Greetalia food products made in winnipeg, and is still made and shipped to stores in manitoba and parts of saskatchewan, but thats it !!!
    I recently drove all over the city looking for it, as i had a big chicken finger craving but had no luck.
    when i recently went back to winnipeg for a visit i bought a jar at safeway to bring home with me and called Greetalia to ask who sells it in alberta, they told me no body anymore as people just don’t get it, and it was too expensive to advertise it.
    I have to say i was devistated when the airport security would not allow be to bring it in my carry on and had to leave it behind : (
    So tonight i am making my own from scratch,and am going to enjoy my chicken fingers and my honey dill.
    I still can not beleave that people here do not know how amazing honey dill realy is.
    Enjoy all you honey dill lovers, you have something special that few people know about.

• November 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Aw, thank you so much for your comment and story! You made my day!

4. Terry Tallaire
    January 24, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Great recipe, can you store that in the fridge? And how long is it good for?

• February 1, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Yes, you’ll need to store it in the fridge. Should last at least a week or two!

5. Jackie
    January 28, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

Thank-you for sharing the recipe for the honey dill sauce. I am an ex Manitoban and have been craving this sauce.

6. Jessica
    May 19, 2016 at 10:58 am #

Thank you so much for posting this– I can’t wait to try it out!

I’m an Easterner (just outside of Toronto), born and raised, but this past weekend my husband and I made our first trip to Saskatchewan (his first trip west of ON) and he fell in love with honey-dill dip. Neither of us had heard of it before when it was offered to him with chicken fingers on our first night there. We were eating with some people we’d met in SK, and one of them who is originally from the east as well said “It’s a Saskatchewan thing,” I guess it’s actually more of a “prairie thing!” Anyhow, wanting to try local things, hubby got the honey-dill dip and now he wants MORE! I didn’t get to try it while we were there, so I am eager to taste it too, but he asked me to see if I could find a recipe online because he really wants to be able to have it here. Happily, I found this one!

Thanks again!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Canadian Food Experience Project – Memories | Celebration Generation: Food, Life, Kitties! - June 14, 2013

[…] it comes to pinpointing my first authentic Canadian food memory, it’s a bit difficult. Is it the Honey Dill Dip that was so ubiquitous in Winnipeg (but was almost unheard of anywhere else in Canada!)? The […]