Homemade Wine Slush Mix!

If you’ve ever been to a large trade show, home show, or – in our case this weekend, a Food and Wine show… chances are, you’ve seen a booth hawking wine slushie mixes. “Frappe Vino”, “Wine Slush”, “Party Slush Mix”, “Vino Slush”… there are a bunch of companies offering it. The samples are so good, it’s easy to drop the $12 or so for the 12 oz baggie of powdered mix. Trust me, we’ve done so… twice. That second time, I took a look at the ingredients and almost had a heart attack. I couldn’t believe what I’d just paid so MUCH for!

I was reminded of that this weekend, as the D’Marie company was once again set up with their wonderful wine slush. While we all loved the slush, I decided that I would set about to “reverse engineer” it. Cue jokes about “Dis Marie” bastardizing “Dat Marie’s” recipe…

Anyway… between the ingredient listing, listed weight, nutritional info, and the unused second bag sitting in our liquor cabinet… I didn’t figure it would be hard to do.

It wasn’t. :)

The ingredients are simple, and the technique is one of those “so simple, it shouldn’t be considered an actual recipe” deals. You, too, can make homemade wine slush mix at home! While matcha powder isn’t cheap, this recipe doesn’t take much at all – your wine slush mix should cost less than $1.50/batch!

Oh, and remember the citric acid you bought for my Quick mozzarella recipe? Well if you haven’t bought some, what are you waiting for? Cheese and wine slushes aren’t the only cool things you can do with it – more citric acid recipes are coming!

Oh, and that Czar of cakes competition? I won! Click here for photos of my cake entry.

Basic Homemade Wine Slush Mix Recipe

1 2/3 – 1 3/4 cups sugar (Less for if using a sweeter wine, more for a dry wine)
1 1/2 tsp citric acid
1/4 tsp matcha (green tea) powder *optional

Measure all ingredients into a food processor. Run the food processor for a minute or two, to finely process the sugar and evenly distribute the ingredients.

Pour powdered mix into a baggie or airtight container until ready to use.

To make wine slush: Pour 1 batch of mix into a 1 gallon freezer bag (or large bowl). Add 1 750 ml bottle of wine, and 3 cups of water. Stir/shake well. Freeze for about 3 hours before serving in glasses of your choice.

(I like to freeze the mixture for a bit longer, stirring/shaking every 30 minutes or so, to produce a finer grained sorbet style dessert, pictured.)

As a Gift Idea: Package 1 batch of mix into a clear craft/goodie baggie, push most of the air out, and tie with a twist tie. Add a ribbon bow. Print the above directions (“To make wine slush”) onto a pretty card and attach to the baggie or ribbon.

Want a fancier baggie, to double as gift itself? Check out Dragon Chow Dice Bags – they’re big enough to hold a batch!

Variations:

”Sangria Slush” mix: Measure sugar and citric acid into food processor (skip the matcha powder). Zest one orange, one lemon, and one lime on top of the measured ingredients before processing.

Flavored Wine Slush Mixes: Measure sugar and citric acid into food processor (skip the matcha powder). Add flavoring of your choice: About 1 tsp of flavor extract, or ½ tsp of a flavor oil will do it, but feel free to flavor to your taste. Process as directed above. Spread mixture out on a cookie sheet and allow to dry for about an hour. Run dried mixture through the food processor to break up any dried clumps you may have, then store per main recipe.

When it comes to extracts or flavor oils, you can have fun with it, but you will want to label the flavor if giving it as a gift. Also, consider the wine to be used. Generally speaking, white wines will work better with flavored mixes than red will.

As an example, banana extract would make a fun slush, but would definitely be better with a white wine. Also, peach flavor oil, combined with a champagne would be very tasty – like a frozen peach bellini!

Interested in boozy culinary experiments? You’ll LOVE my first cookbook, The Spirited Baker!

Combining liqueurs with more traditional baking ingredients can yield spectacular results.Try Mango Mojito Upside Down Cake, Candy Apple Flan, Jalapeno Beer Peanut Brittle, Lynchburg Lemonade Cupcakes, Pina Colada Rum Cake, Strawberry Daiquiri Chiffon Pie, and so much more.

To further add to your creative possibilities, the first chapter teaches how to infuse spirits to make both basic and cream liqueurs, as well as home made flavor extracts! This book contains over 160 easy to make recipes, with variation suggestions to help create hundreds more! Order your hard copy here, or digital edition here.

42 Responses to “Homemade Wine Slush Mix!”

1. Steve
    March 15, 2012 at 1:26 am #

Sorry, but your recipe is definitely off by quite a bit. You should not have to stir the mixture either as it freezes and using a freezer bag…..well…..I guess if you’re looking for a mess to happen in your freezer. Your picture definitely does NOT look like a slushie drink either! Better head back to the drawing board! :)

• March 15, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Actually, we made our own recipe side by side with an original, purchased wine slush mix, and it was exactly the same, start to finish. (Aside from color, as we did not add beet extract to make the powder red).

The mixes tasted the same dry, behaved the same in the freezer, and had the same taste/texture when frozen.

So, if it’s not the product you’re looking for, you may want to skip the source material as well. I wasn’t looking to reinvent the wheel, just faithfully duplicate it – including the instructions on how to freeze / handle it. :)

• jim dennis
        August 23, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Gotta agree with Steve on the appearance. The photo of your knockoff recipe result contains many big clumps that are made up of ice crystals which are themselves too large. The “slush” should be a finer consistency, somewhat between a “slurpee” and a sorbet. And although ultimately the wine you choose will determine the color of the end product, the leading supplier of this wine treatment uses powdered red cranberry juice as a color enhancer.

We have introduced this product in our restaurant, served in a clear cordial glass with an expresso spoon, in lieu of sorbet as a “palate cleanser”. Our customers are going gaga over it. A great, fun product. Enjoy, Chef Jim

• August 24, 2013 at 8:18 am #

Actually, the size of the ice crystals has nothing to do with the recipe, and everything to do with the technique.

When following the directions on the source material, the ice crystals turn out the same as pictured. If you were to use an alternate method to freeze either the source material or my recipe – a slush machine or an ice cream maker, for instance- those methods break the ice down into much smaller crystals as they churn.

Also, to be clear – there were no “big clumps”, though I can see how it looks that way. The lighting is a bit deceptive, especially combined with the way we mounded it for photos.

• Angie Anderson
          August 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Jim, I have to disagree with you as well. For the most part, see my disagreement with Steve.

Again, think Granitas… with alcohol. if you want the ice crystals to be smaller, you have to break them up. While freezing, water molecules love each other very much.

• Midge
          March 21, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

I disagree with both these guys. I have made the D’Marie many times and yours looks exactly like the D’marie. I made a batch over the weekend and it depends on how long you freeze it and there are big clumps when you take it out. You just stir it to make it smooth and also to get the sweeter part at the bottom.

• Angie Anderson
      August 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Steve, I would have to disagree with you on the stirring issue. Remember that ice distillation is basically the freezing of wine, disposing of the ice and using the resulting liquid. If you stir it, you have a slushie, if you don’t, you have an illegal form of brandy.

Think back five years or so ago when we were all going gaga over Granitas. Everyone knew that only way to keep your grantina from becoming a tasty Ice block is to break up the ice crystals by “raking” it with a fork or putting the ice block in a food processor.

If you feel that you must not stir or shake, then it sounds like you are talking about super-cooling which is all about timing and temperature. Like that party trick where the beer looks liquid in the bottle but turns into slush when you open it.

2. May 25, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

OMG, I can’t wait to make this!! I have purchased Vino Slush many times, and each time I think seriously, must duplicate soon! Looks perfect to me, I think Steve up there may be upset that his formula is out!

Where do you find the green tea powder and citric acid?

• May 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

We bought matcha powder at an Asian grocery store, and citric acid from a homebrew supplies shop.

We actually go through a fair amount of citric acid, between wine slush and the quick mozzarella (elsewhere on this site!)… so I’d definitely recommend getting some!

3. Shari
    June 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

I have to admit, when I bought several of those mixes, I said, “I am probably paying $20 a pound for sugar!” Fool me once…I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks much!

4. BOB KNIGHT
    July 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

THANKS MARIE, WE BOUGHT OUR FIRST SLUSH MIX THIS WEEKEND , LOVED IT BUT GASPED AT THE COST. I KNEW THERE WAS AN EASY RECIPE SOME WHERE. I CAME ACROSSED ONE USING A POWERED LEMONADE AND A POWERED TEA MIX WHICH I THOUGHT MIGHT WORK , SEEMS TO HAVE BOTH THE INGREDIENTS YOU STATE, THE MATCHA (GREEN TEA) AND THE CITRIC ACID (LEMONADE) AND LOTS OF SUGAR IN BOTH… I FOUND BOTH ITEMS ON EBAY. THE MATCHA WAS DIRECT FROM CHINA. I THINK I’E SEEN THE CITRIC ACID IN MY GROCERY STORE AS IT IS USED EXTENSIVELY IN HOME CANNING ESPECIALLY TOMATOES. P.S. DON’T UNDERSTAND “STEVE” DID HE NEVER GO INTO A 7 11 AND SEE A SLUSHEE MACHINE WORKING??? THERE IS A PADDLE OF SORTS CONTINUNALLY MIXING AS THE PRODUCT FREEZES!!!! COULDN’T HAVE SHOWN A BETTER PICTURE OF A SLUSHIE. HE MUST BE TALKING ABOUT SUSHI….

• Sherry Rardin
      July 23, 2012 at 2:06 am #

Hello Bob, how big of a batch did you make using the powered lemonade and powered tea?
      Where these the only ingredients you used? Thanks

5. Angela
    July 28, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

Instead of 1 cup of water, and in place of the citric acid, I used a cup of cranberry juice (unsweethened), and added a few shots of POM liquerto the recipe before freezing.

I also tried a few shots of cranberry moonshine instead of POM, but can only buy that in North Carolina liquor stores. DELICIOUS!

6. Michael
    August 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Love this recipe! I’m curious to know what each ingredient does. What does the citric acid do? What about the green tea powder? The sugar?

• August 7, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Citric acid balances the sugar, which is there to sweeten it. The green tea just adds flavor.

• Michael
        August 13, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Makes sense … thanks!

7. August 10, 2012 at 8:41 am #

how about making this with a sugarfree substitute? Could you use splenda or something? I just bought some and am looking forward to trying both… the boxed and your recipe :) Thanks for sharing

• August 11, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

You know, I honestly have no idea. I *THINK* it would work… I’d suggest giving it a try and seeing how you like it!

• casey
      March 3, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

Use crystal light packets.

8. Jane
    August 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

If anyone tries this recipe with splenda or other SF sweeteners, I would love to know. A cousin told me she found a SF mix and I was actually looking for a place to purchase one when I stumbled onto this recipe. If nothing else, I’m wondering if you couldn’t even just halve the sugar and replace it with splenda. I’d love suggestions…

9. Sue
    August 31, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

I just purchased some slushie mix from Shipshewana and my husband I are both hooked. We are not wine drinkers either. I understand what Steve was getting at. The gal in Shipsie had a slushie machine there. The texture we had using their mix was different than what they were handing out. Steve, if you’re looking for the same texture, you could probably put the frozen slush mixture in a blender. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

10. Wanda
    December 2, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

I purchased green tea leaves from a local asian grocery store and pulverized them in my Bullet mixer to a powder state. (no one locally had the matcha) Then I pulverized the sugar too. Added back in the green tea powder for one final pulse along with my citric acid. For citric acid, I substitued the Ball brand citric acid mix found in the canning section of the grocery store. So 1 tsp pulverized green tea, 2 tsp Ball citric mix, 1 3/4 c of sugar which was then pulverized, 3 c water, and one bottle red wine (Sutter Home Sweet Red). I chilled the mix in a gallon size bag in the freezer, but got impatient. Put 1/2 the mix into my Cusineart Frozen Yogurt maker and within 5 minutes I had perfect wine slushies. Topped it off with sugar/chilli coated Gooseberries I found at the asian market. Turned out perfect.

11. Renee
    January 19, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

I love you people, it may be the wine slushy talking though! Worked perfect and tasted just like the mix I bought at trade show!!!

12. April 6, 2013 at 10:18 am #

Marie,
    Have you tried this with Kool-Aid? Want to try the Mango-Peach flavor. Hmmmm.

• April 6, 2013 at 10:52 am #

I haven’t, but I don’t see any reason why that wouldn’t work!

13. chris brown
    April 10, 2013 at 11:24 am #

where do you buy the matcha powder and the citric acid? cant wait to try this.

• April 11, 2013 at 8:02 am #

I get matcha powder at a local Asian grocery store, and citric acid at a homebrewing supply store!

14. Andrew & Jeannie
    July 7, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Thanks for the recipe … live and learn! We just spent $25 for three boxes of the D’Marie Frappe Vino mix at the local craft fair because we had never seen or tasted anything like it before (babes in the woods, even though we are in our 50′s)! Anyways, I will definitely be making my own mix in the future thanks to your tip and recipe!

• July 7, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

How sad is it that I looked at 3/$25, and my first thought was “Hey, that’s not a horrible price”? LOL! I think $10/each is the cheapest I’ve seen them sold at … insane when you know the ingredient cost and how EASY they are to make!

15. July 7, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Thank You SO Much! I recently fell in love with wine slush, But can’t afford the crazy boxes! I just got all the ingredients from my neighborhood natural food store and am going to mix it together now. Thanks again!

• July 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Awesome, thanks for commenting – hope you love the results!

16. Ronda
    July 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

This works great! We had just done a wine tour & purchased the pre-mix at $12 a pop=/ I went online in search of a cheaper way & found this recipe!! Works fatabulous!!!! ENJOY!!!

17. Kaitlyn
    July 28, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

Yum. I tried this and it worked perfectly. I could not find citric acid so I got something called “protect produce” and it is basically the same thing as citric acid. Well done, thanks for saving us TONS of money. :)

18. Steve
    July 31, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

Hello. We just bought a slushy machine for our wine business. We know we need to get the sugar levels right but one wine we want to use has almost 0% sugar, and the other has 7% I know most slushy machines need a Brix Level of 13. Do you think we could make the first one (that has almost zero sugar) a margarita mix, and the second one (7% sugar) a Moscato Bellini?

Thoughts? Concerns? Ideas?

19. kathy
    August 27, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

so the one i tried this weekend at our state fair they used a merlot and i could swear he said that particular wine slush mix was “sangria”. do you know what makes up the “sangria” flavor mixes? i normally despise red wines, especially merlot, but i loved this slushie!
    Thanks so much for this recipe!!

• August 30, 2013 at 7:01 am #

Kathy,

Sangria would indicate fruit, whether dried citrus rind, or artificial flavour being added.

I suspect that it’s more about the sweetness. I’m not a fan or red wine at all, but love it when sweetened and frozen like this. It does a good job of covering up the bitter taste that I’m not a fan of!

20. Erica
    December 29, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

I fell in love with these this year at trade shows. Saw the ingredient list and went searching for a recipe online and found yours. I bought all the ingredients and made my first batch with a white Zinfandel. Turned out way too sweet. Was the wine choice not good? What’s the reasoning for adding the sugar in the first place? Steve mentioned Brix level how do you measure that if necessary?

21. Pennie
    May 8, 2014 at 9:40 am #

If you are really concerned about the Brix level, for about $25 you can purchase a refractometer, which is designed to measure Brix (Brix just means the concentration of sugar in solution). And yes, Erica…some of the higher sugar content whites (like Zinfandel, Reisling, etc) might be too sweet once you add the extra sugar called for in the recipe.

I am by no means a food chemist or anything, but I know when making ice cream, two factors that have an effect on texture are sugar content, and fat content (as well as technique as mentioned above, of course). No fat in this type of thing, so not a factor here, but I do wonder what playing with the amount of sugar would do. Maybe I should get out my refractometer and play :-)

22. Tabby
    May 25, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Marie, you are awesome!!!! This is just like the D’marie. The Ingredients might be pricey but will last a long time. I made the slush for Memorial Day BBQ.. This will be a staple at my parties and in the house.

Tabby

23. Becky
    May 30, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

I am so excited to try this recipe – wish me luck and thanks for posting it.

24. Patti
    May 31, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

I have made wine slush with 1 1/2 cups Lipton tea mix(sweetened) a bottle of wine and you can use 7 up instead of water

25. Allie M
    September 5, 2014 at 11:52 pm #

Anyone try this with a sugar substitute? I’m afraid it would change the chemistry to the point it wouldn’t freeze properly.