Gluten Free Spicy Orange Chicken

One of thing things that I miss most about my pre-gluten allergy days? Chinese takeout.

I KNOW. I’m sorry! Sometimes, you just need it, you know? So, I recently decided to craft a gluten free version of.. something.

What was I in the mood for, though? Sometimes, being able to make anything gets a bit daunting – so many options. General Tso’s? Kung Pao? I wanted something a bit spicy, but wasn’t quite sure which way I wanted to go.

In the end, I decided to wing it and came up with a spicy orange chicken… and it was DAMN good. Really hit the spot, and my full-gluten husband even preferred it to actual, non-gf takeout.

Score!

Gluten Free Spicy Orange Chicken

Oil for deep frying – we used vegetable oil

Batter:

1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp corn starch

Chicken:
3 large chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into chunks
1/4 cup additional garbanzo bean flour

Start heating your oil to 375F – you’ll want at least 2-3″ of oil in your pot or deep fryer.

In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, and vegetable oil. Add water, stir well to form a thick batter. All batter to sit for 5 minutes or so, to soften the bean flour.

In a medium saucepan, whisk all sauce ingredients together until smooth. Heat over medium, simmer until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat, set aside while you fry the chicken.

Toss chicken chunks with additional garbanzo flour, then dredge in the batter. Carefully transfer a few battered chicken pieces to the preheated oil. Fry for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Use a slotted metal spoon to transfer fried chicken to paper towels.

Once all chicken is fried, toss with spicy orange sauce, serve immediately.

Interested in Gluten-free cooking and baking? You’ll LOVE Beyond Flour: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!

How many times have you come across a gluten-free recipe claiming to be “just as good as the normal version!”, only to wind up with weird textures, aftertastes, etc? Most gluten-free recipes are developed by taking a “normal” recipe, and swapping in a simulated “all purpose” gluten-free flour… whether store bought, or a homemade version. “Beyond Flour” takes a different approach: developing the recipe from scratch. Rather than swapping out the flour for an “all purpose” mix, I use various alternative flours as individual ingredients – skillfully blending flavours, textures, and other properties unique to each flour. Supporting ingredients and different techniques are also utilized to achieve the perfect end goal … not just a “reasonable facsimile”. Order your copy here.

Looking for even MORE fantastic gluten-free recipes? Beyond Flour now has a sequel: Beyond Flour 2: A Fresh Approach to Gluten-Free Cooking and Baking!

Imagine gluten-free foods that are as good – or better! – than their traditional, gluten-filled counterparts. Imagine no longer settling for foods with bizarre after-tastes, gummy consistency, and/or cardboard texture. Imagine graham crackers that taste just like the real thing. Crisp, flaky crackers…without the sandy texture. Hybrid tortillas that: look and act like flour tortillas, with the taste of fresh roasted corn! Imagine chewy, delicious cookies that *everyone* will want to eat! Imagine BAGELS. If you’ve cooked from “Beyond Flour”, you already know that these fantasies can be reality – it’s all in the development of the recipes. Order your copy here.

Tags:

26 Responses to “Gluten Free Spicy Orange Chicken”

1. brendan
    February 10, 2013 at 11:50 am #

soy sauce is not gluten free!

• February 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Gluten free varieties of soy sauce are available 🙂

• February 15, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Use tamari! It tastes the same and is a direct sub, gluten free too

2. Jilien
    February 11, 2013 at 6:48 am #

Could you use just rice flour?

• February 11, 2013 at 7:40 am #

I wouldn’t, because the texture would be off.

3. Heather
    February 12, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Instead of bean flour do you think potato flour would work? I am slowly building my stock of flours and bean is one that I don’t have yet.

• February 12, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

It’s hard to say, GF recipes are really finicky when it comes to substitutions. It *could* work, but I wouldn’t bank on it – Potato flour wouldn’t have the protein/heft that bean flour does.

4. BC
    February 12, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

Better than takeout! I had resigned myself to a life without decent Chinese food but this was even better! I used bob’s all purpose GF flour mix to mix with the rice flour because it’s mostly bean flour and it’s what I had. Also, I’m avoiding soy so I used Coconut Aminos instead. Thank you so much!

5. February 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

This is definitely on my list! Since you are local to me- where do you recommend for stocking a gluten free pantry on a budget? We mostly cook from scratch as it is, but we are just starting a our gluten free journey and I’m a little overwhelmed with all of the different stuff I need, not to mention the price tag that comes with it!

• February 15, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

Hi Erin!

I tend to just go to one of the Cub locations closest to me. One has a great selection of the alternative flours.. the other has NONE.

6. Shannon
    February 25, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Sounds delicious! Do you think there’s a way to make this without the deep-fry like in a very hot oven? My son is gluten intolerant but also doesn’t stomach fried foods very well. Thanks!

7. Renee
    March 4, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

Delicious! Even my non-GF husband and my 4-year old loved it. I made my own ‘soy sauce’ since we also avoid soy, did shrimp instead of chicken, and did lemon instead of orange. Very good. Will definitely make again. My batter was thick and kind of a pain to work with, but worth it!

8. Marie
    March 7, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

I made this recipe for dinner, it is delicious!!! I used 1 1/4 cup of Gluten Free flour (Trader Joes) and 1/4 cup of rice flour. Although the batter was thick and hard to work with, the texture was perfect!

9. KristenV
    April 22, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I’m terrified to fry things after my husband and I accidentally started a fire on our stove trying to fry potatoes… Can you bake this recipe instead or do you think that would mess with the texture too much? I’m also afraid to fry and not know when the chicken is done!

• April 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

I’m sure baking would work just fine, it just won’t give you quite the same taste/texture.

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about under cooking – I make sure to slice a thick chunk open before taking them all out of the oil.

10. Dori
    April 28, 2013 at 1:00 am #

Tried it 🙂 it is wonderful ! I did need to add a bit of water to the batter but it worked and tasted great my whole family loved it and they don’t even need to eat gluten free !

11. Dori
    April 28, 2013 at 1:02 am #

Tried it loved it and the family too and they don’t eat gluten free so I would say it is a great recipe 🙂

12. karen
    August 5, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

This is a great recipe, thank you! I substituted coconut aminos for the soy sauce and arrowroot for the cornstarch to compensate for my food allergies. If using arrowroot add a tsp at a time as it thickens more than cornstarch.My partner and I loved it! We will definitely make it again!

13. Dawn
    February 11, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

just making sure. 1.4 tsp baking powder? not 1/4? thanks

14. Sakuna
    August 19, 2015 at 10:44 pm #

Made this tonight for dinner. We love this recipe and its going in our recipe box. Changed one thing in the recipe, I substitute garbanzo flour with potatoe starch flour. Texture was perfect! Thank you for sharing this recipe! Love that its GF. Blessings to you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. March Goals…and a Recipe! | bakingmehappy - March 4, 2013

[…] Cheddar, Overnight Oats (in jars!) with banana and peanut butter, and I prepped everything for Spicy Orange Chicken (with cauliflower “rice”) and Balsamic […]

2. Weekly Round-Up Allergy Series: Gluten Free Recipes — Cooking During Stolen Moments - April 19, 2013

[…] GF Spicy Orange Chicken via Celebration […]

3. Danish Yeast Rolls and Recipe Roundup - The Heavy Table - Minneapolis-St. Paul and Upper Midwest Food Magazine and Blog - May 8, 2013

[…] yeast rolls (above); blueberry chews; goat cheese and smoked salmon mac and cheese; spicy orange chicken (gluten-free); banana pecan french toast with maple rum sauce; Indian-spiced tomato soup; shells with pea shoots […]

4. 5 Gluten-Free Chinese Food Recipes For National Chopsticks Day | Kitchology Blog - February 6, 2014

[…] Gluten-Free Spicy Orange Chicken Recipe […]

5. Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Ginger-Orange Sauce | Celebration Generation: Food, Life, Kitties! - May 20, 2015

[…] Chicken recipe this weekend still had me in the mood for ginger/spicy, and telling people about my Spicy Orange Chicken had me craving something like THAT. Decided to combine the two cravings and come up with something […]