Hoppy IPA BBQ Sauce
With the citrussy notes in this sauce, it worked ridiculously well on some grilled shrimp and scallops we made that night. It would also be great on pork and chicken, in particular – though I’m sure you could enjoy it on just about anything!
Servings 2 Cups
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Small Red Onion grated or finely chopped
- 1 Small Jalapeno grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup IPA of choice
- 1/2 cup Fresh Hops divided (We used Centennial)
- 2 Garlic Cloves pressed or finely minced
- 2 cups Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
- Zest of 1/2 or 1 orange
- 1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
Saute onion and jalapeno in olive oil until translucent. Add beer, 1/4 cup of hops, and garlic, simmer for 5 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients except for the 1/4 cup of reserved hops. Stir well, turn heat down to low, cover simmer for 1 hour – stir frequently.
Add remaining hops, simmer for 5 more minutes. Press sauce through wire strainer, discarding solids left behind. Chill until use.